The entrance staircase to the house and terrace is a showpiece of any home, so it should serve for many years of trouble-free use. What is the best material for finishing stairs?
What are the dimensions of comfortable stairs?
If you want to make an entrance or terrace stairs, then their depth should be between 30 and 35 cm. According to the regulations, the width of the stairs in a detached house can not be less than 80 cm and they can not be higher than 19 cm.
What material can be used to make stairs?
Stairs should be made of the highest quality materials. The most important features of the material for stairs are
- abrasion resistance,
- scratch resistance,
- low water absorption,
- frost resistance,
- aesthetic appearance.
Stairs can be finished with various materials, although the most popular material is tile.
Ceramic tiles are a very popular and inexpensive option. There are a lot of different designs and colors available in stores. When choosing terracotta tiles for the outdoors, you should take into account:
- abrasion class – it should be higher than IV,
- scratch resistance,
- mohs scale, which determines hardness and should be higher than 7,
- slip resistance, which value should be between R9 and R13,
- water absorption level, which should be less than 3%.
An alternative to the popular ceramic tiles is natural stone, which suits both the modern and classic look of the property. Hard stones work best for finishing stairs, e.g:
- basalt – has low water absorption, maintains its original appearance for a very long time,
- granite – it is resistant to changing temperatures, comes in different colors so it can be adjusted to the elevation, is anti-slip,
- sandstone – is the cheapest and at the same time the least durable stone, its structure is anti-slip.
It is a beautiful and very elegant material, perfect for lining outdoor stairs. Marble on stairs looks very exclusive but unfortunately it wears off quickly and loses its original look. Marble stairs are very slippery, which when combined with rain, can lead to a fall.
Cobblestones are a very durable finishing element for stairs. The material is available at a very attractive price. Paving blocks can be used to create various compositions that perfectly match the color scheme of each building.
Paving blocks are made of different materials, but the most popular ones are
- concrete – it is very resistant to temperature, durable and easy to keep clean,
- granite – it will perfectly complement the elegant estate. The advantage of this solution is a large selection of colors and patterns.
Wood on the stairs is a timeless elegance that fits every interior of the house. The best choice for stairs is exotic teak wood. All wood must be cared for by protecting it from the elements with a wood preservative. Wood stairs must also be protected from fungi, insects, moisture and harmful UV rays.
Metal stairs are a very interesting solution, which is ideal for modern buildings. The advantage of this solution is the possibility of painting the metal in any color.